The 26-year-old Palestanian-American model Bella Hadid, a well-known name in the international fashion industry, was named winner of the prestigious award “model of the year” at the British Fashion Awards.
Bella Hadid won the eagerly awaited Model of the Year award, presented by fellow model Ashley Graham. The top model recently made news after a coperni dress was sprayed onto her body during Paris Fashion Week.
Carlos Nazario, a stylist, received the award on Hadid’s behalf since “her body wouldn’t allow her” to accept the award in person (Hadid has spoken publicly about her struggles with Lyme disease and mental health challenges.)
In a video message, Hadid thanked her agent Luiz Mattos and mother Yolanda Hadid. She said, “You all, my fashion family, were the ones who showed me who I could be and opened my eyes to the things I could do. I want to share this award with all of the models who show up every single day and work hard with little or no recognition. I know it’s not easy and I see you”.
“Being the daughter of a refugee father from Palestine, and an immigrant mother from Holland, there’s a sort of work ethic that runs in our blood,” she said in a pre-recorded video. “It’s not to be the best. It’s not to be better than others. It’s just to be able to succeed because our ancestors have never had an opportunity like this in their lifetime. This is for Palestinian children. This is for Dutch children. This is for any child, immigrant, or refugee.”
Bella’s sister Gigi Hadid was named Model of the Year in 2016.
“Clothes are nothing until they are brought to life by the majestic craft of the model,” said Graham before announcing Hadid’s win over nominees Adut Akech, Quannah Chasinghorse, Paloma Elsesser, and Lila Moss.
The wide range of nominations was viewed as a sign of hope that the industry may be rethinking its previously preferred constrictive, Eurocentric beauty criteria in favor of something more inclusive: Akech is a South Sudanese refugee, Elsesser is a plus-size model, and Chasinghorse is an Indigenous model and activist.
Florence Pugh, Rita Ora, Naomi Campbell, and Stormzy were among the famous guests seated at the Royal Albert Hall in London after arriving from a glamorous but chilly red carpet to attend one of the largest fashion calendar events of the year.
Isabella Khairiah Hadid, a Palestanian-American fashion model, was born on October 9, 1996, in Washington, D.C., and raised in Santa Barbara, California. Hadid started her modeling career when she was 16 years old.
In 2016, Insiders presented her with the “Model of the Year” award for Models.com. In the past four years, Hadid has appeared on 27 international Vogue magazine covers.
She joined IMG Models in August 2014, and one month later debuted at New York Fashion Week.
The full list of winners is as follows:
- Designer of the Year: Pierpaolo Piccioli for Valentino
- BFC Foundation Award: S.S. DALEY
- Independent British Brand: Wales Bonner
- Special Recognition Award for Cultural Curation: Jefferson Hack
- Leaders of Change – Creativity: Alessandro Michele, Daniel Roseberry, Harris Reed, Ibrahim Kamara, Raf Simons
- Leaders of Change – Environment: Bethany Williams, Connor Ives, Gabriela Hearst, Marine Serre, Priya Ahluwalia
- Leaders of Change – People: Aurora James, Harry Lambert, Julie Pelipas, Sinéad Burke, Rafael Pavarotti
- Model of the Year Award: Bella Hadid
- Outstanding Achievement Award: Yvon Chouinard
- Isabella Blow Award for Fashion Creator: Katie Grand
- Fashion Award for Metaverse World and Gaming Experience: Burberry