A judicial magistrate dismissed acquittal applications of local actor Saba Qamar and singer Bilal Saeed in a case of alleged desecration of Wazir Khan mosque and summoned them for indictment on March 16.Earlier, Ms Qamar, clad in a black burqa, and Saeed on Wednesday appeared before the court along with their lawyer.
The two accused counsel in defence said that there was a delay of ten days in registration of the FIR.
He submitted that no dance or music took place at the mosque as alleged in the FIR and the applicants had been implicated in the case for ulterior motives.He said that an inquiry conducted by the Punjab Auqaf department declared both the applicants innocent.
He submitted that the department report maintained that no immoral act had been committed in the mosque.He also pleaded that there was no probability of the conviction of the petitioners in any offence and any further proceedings in the case would be a futile exercise.Opposing the application, a prosecutor argued that the petitioners performed dance in the mosque.
He said a video of the dance was available with the prosecution.
He requested to dismiss the acquittal applications and let the prosecution establish its case with evidence.Akbari Gate police had registered a FIR against the duo under section 295 of Pakistan Penal Code (PPC) following a court’s direction to act on an application of a lawyer as per law and decide whether a cognizable offence was made out.
The section deals with the offence of injuring or defiling a place of worship, with intent to insult the religion of any class.Complainant lawye3r Farhat Manzoor Chandio, the complainant, pleaded that the culprits trampled upon the sanctity of the mosque by their act which also sparked an outrage among the citizens.