A special court (offences in bank) on Saturday extended the pre-arrest bail of Leader of Opposition in National Assembly Shehbaz Sharif and his son Hamza Shehbaz till December 11 and directed all the suspects to join the investigation before the FIA in the money laundering and sugar scam.
The court gave last opportunity to the federal investigation agency (FIA) to submit challan (investigation report) and warned the whole prosecution team of show-cause notices in case of further delay in submission of the investigation report.
Earlier when asked about the investigation report, the investigating officer (IO) replied that an important suspect namely Muhammad Usman had not joined the investigation since he had been released on bail.
The court directed the IO to ensure submission of the report till next date of hearing.
Perpetrators Shehbaz and Hamza appeared before the court. Shehbaz said that he had nothing to do with the affairs of the sugar mills of his sons.
He said that he had not received any income from the mills. He claimed that his decisions as former chief minister caused financial loss to the business of his sons.
He asked the court to take penal action against the prosecution for not filing the challan within the stipulated time.
Judge directed Shehbaz Sharif to file a separate application if he wanted to seek action against the prosecution.
The FIA had booked Shehbaz and his sons Hamza and Suleman in November 2020 under sections 419, 420, 468, 471, 34 and 109 – financial fraud, impersonation and forgery – of the PPC and 5(2) and 5(3) – criminal misconduct – of Prevention of Corruption Act and r/w 3/4 of Anti Money Laundering Act. Suleman Shehbaz is absconding in the UK.