At least 13 people have been killed in two powerful explosions outside Kabul’s international airport, a Taliban official has said, amid a huge and chaotic evacuation effort from Afghanistan.
A “complex attack” on Thursday at the airport in Afghanistan’s capital caused a number of US and civilian casualties, the Pentagon said. A Taliban official said at least 13 people, including children, were killed in the explosion and that several others were wounded.
The city’s main Emergency Hospital said on Twitter that at least 60 injured people were transferred to their facility so far.
Pentagon spokesman John Kirby said one blast occurred near the airport’s Abbey Gate and the other close to the nearby Baron Hotel. Two US officials said at least one of the explosions appeared to be from a suicide bombing.
“We can confirm that the explosion at the Abbey Gate was the result of a complex attack that resulted in a number of US and civilian casualties,” Kirby said on Twitter.
“We can also confirm at least one other explosion at or near the Baron Hotel, a short distance from Abbey Gate.”
UK will continue Kabul evacuation after attack near the airport
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said his government will continue with its evacuation operation in Afghanistan after suspected suicide bombers struck the crowded gates of Kabul airport, killing at least 13 people and wounding dozens more.https://c5ba2b1d4fa54cce55b36e4cb87d8844.safeframe.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-38/html/container.html
After Johnson chaired an emergency response meeting on the situation in Afghanistan, he said Britain’s airlift would continue “going up until the last moment”.
“We are able to continue with the programme in the way we have been running it, according to the timetable that we have got and that is what we are going to do,” Johnson said.
US service members killed in attack: Pentagon
Pentagon confirmed in a statement that “a number of US service members were killed” in the attack at the airport.
“A number of others are being treated for wounds. We also know that a number of Afghans fell victim to this heinous attack,” the statement said.
They were the first US service members to be killed in Afghanistan since Washington signed an agreement with the Taliban in February 2020 to withdraw from the country.